Your marriage can be saved! All marriages have moments where you will ask yourself, “Is this hopeless?”, or “Will this ever get better?”. These all seem like no way out situations, but after 28 years of marriage, the author gives us a list of ideas that we can work on to do better. Overall, the best thing to do is to take inventory and see that YOU are worth it. YOU can change your behavior. First thing is to stay positive, second is to stay present. Start doing things without expectation and that includes changing your partner.
You must accept who you are but past that:
1. Listen and show empathy
2. Make sure that you agree on things you can agree on
3. Work on a few things for your partner that would make their life better
4. Show compassion and start hugging and kissing
5. Feel better that you are working on things. It won’t happen right away, but your marriage will get better.
6. Take the lead
7. Learn how to share your thoughts without being scared. You need to develop that trust with your partner.
Without working towards things, your marriage will never get better.
- beginnings of relationships are exciting and unpredictable almost taking over your every thought
- as you get more comfortable with each other you notice that everything is not so perfect
- if you care enough for each other you accept the good and which makes your life more meaningfull
“Long-term relationships are a roller coaster, they can be difficult, they do have their hard times but it’s from these we gain that strength to face the challenges that life throws at us.”